Missing women inquiry hears focus was on organized crime, not disappearances


VANCOUVER — In the years leading up to Robert Pickton’s arrest, police were paying careful attention to what was going on on his family’s properties, but it was organized crime, not murdered women, that was their focus, a lawyer says.

During that time, the name of Pickton’s brother, David, had been queried 107 times on the Canadian Police Information Centre. Police investigators from all over the Lower Mainland were looking for a criminal background.

One search of Dave Pickton’s record came in January 2002, just weeks before police raided the farm and discovered gruesome evidence his brother had murdered many women there.

The Missing Women Commission of Inquiry into Vancouver’s missing women has already heard that a property separate from the Pickton family’s Port Coquitlam, B.C., pig farm, called Piggy’s Palace, was well known as a partying place for the Hells Angels and their associates.

Gary Bass, the former RCMP deputy commissioner in B.C., agreed during testimony Wednesday that several police operations were targeting the motorcycle gang in the Lower Mainland during that time.

Cameron Ward, the lawyer for two dozen family members of the murdered and missing women, suggested the women were taken to parties at Piggy’s Palace, given drugs and later killed on the Pickton farm.

“The RCMP’s organized crime agency was simultaneously conducting intelligence operations on the Hells Angels members and the associates who were frequenting the area. Does that sound accurate?” Ward asked.

“I’ve never seen any reports or had any briefings that indicated something like that was happening,” Bass replied.

But the records created by the many RCMP agencies investigating the gang haven’t been made available, Ward said.

Bass agreed that would be the way to confirm the claim.

“I suggest none of those records that may have indicated what was happening in that neighbourhood of Port Coquitlam ... have been produced to this inquiry have they?” Ward asked.

“I’m not aware of any,” Bass replied.

“The RCMP was ... focused on addressing that organization’s trafficking of illegal narcotics and trying to stop it wasn’t it?” Ward asked.

“The Hells Angels have been in the sights of police for many, many years,” Bass testified.

The inquiry is looking into the actions of police and the Crown prosecutors between 1997, when Pickton was accused of attempting to murder a sex trade worker, and when he was arrested in February 2002.

Many women, most of them sex-trade workers, disappeared from Vancouver’s impoverished Downtown Eastside during that period.

Pickton was convicted of killing six women from the area, but police found the remains or DNA of 33 women on the farm.

Bass also told the inquiry that it was obvious more should have been done to find Vancouver’s missing women but the Mounties weren’t asked to get involved in the investigation by Vancouver police.

“It wasn’t my responsibility,” he said.

The RCMP major crimes section was providing some help to the missing women’s investigation in 1998, but wasn’t in charge of it, he testified.

Vancouver police still believed the women had simply gone missing on their own, even though RCMP thought foul play was involved as far back as 1995, Bass said.

When the major crime section was finally asked to review the missing women’s case in 2000, Vancouver police didn’t have their files ready and the investigation was delayed for another six months.

Bass told the inquiry that the RCMP believed there were three serial killers operating in the province at the time — in Vancouver, the Fraser Valley and in northern B.C.

Police decided to focus on the valley murders because they had DNA exhibits, he said.

“Ironically, they still have not been solved,” Bass added.

In 1999, police records indicated there were at least 45 unsolved prostitute murders in the province.

Pickton was arrested in 2002 and eventually convicted of six counts of second degree murder, though the remains or DNA of 33 women were found on his property in Port Coquitlam.

He once told an undercover officer that he killed 49.




Missing Women Tip Line: 1-877-687-3377

Updated: August 21, 2016