Alberta family mourns for sex-trade worker slain in Surrey

Teri-Lyn Williams travelled between Alberta, B.C.


June 17, 2012

METRO VANCOUVER -- The discovery of a slain Calgary woman in Surrey has ended a painful saga for an Alberta family who say they expected the worst from her risky lifestyle.

Teri-Lyn Williams a 41-year-old sex-trade worker who travelled back and forth between Alberta and British Columbia was identified Wednesday.

"I've been expecting a call like this for the last 10 years, unfortunately," said Mel Williams, who adopted Teri-Lyn as a newborn and raised her in Edmonton.

"She was living that lifestyle and the worst did happen. But regardless of what she was doing, she didn't deserve to be murdered."

Williams, who had a residence in Calgary but frequented Vancouver, was also known as Toni.

She left her Calgary home in mid-April, according to police.

Her body was found by passersby in bushes last Wednesday morning. Police have said the woman may have been killed Tuesday night or early Wednesday.

Police have given no indication of how she died. No identification was found with her body; however, Williams was wearing a key attached by an elastic hair tie around her wrist.

It is not known whether she was working as a prostitute in the Surrey area, said Cpl. Dale Carr of the integrated homicide investigative team.

Detectives from B.C.'s homicide team touched down in Calgary on Wednesday to track Williams' last known movements.

"We need a starting point. We know her name, but we don't know who she is," said Carr.

"They're going to spend a day or two to try to shed light on why was she out there, where did she live and did she know anybody in Surrey," said Carr.

He said investigators are planning to locate and interview a number of people, including a former boyfriend.

Prior to the killing, she was known to have been in Vancouver on Nov. 9, 2009, police said.

Police have a record of her being in Calgary on Dec. 15, 2009.

Williams' father said the family long suspected his daughter's erratic behaviour may have been caused by fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.

"From all indications, her biological mother was living a rough lifestyle as well," he said.

For the past decade, Williams had been living in Calgary but was estranged from most of her family, who live in Edmonton. She kept in touch with an aunt through regular telephone calls, her father said.

"She was a problem child, but also a happy-go-lucky. Teri was a good kid. But things kind of fell apart when she was around 19, when she fell in with the wrong crowd, and the dope was a big part of it," said Williams, 67.

"I knew she was in B.C. quite a bit. The last time I saw her in Vancouver, she was doing really great, looking healthy. We took her out for dinner."

Through his grief, Williams said he wants his daughter's unsolved slaying to act as a warning to others about addiction and high-risk lifestyles.



Missing Women Tip Line: 1-877-687-3377

Updated: August 21, 2016